Sunday, August 3, 2008

Get Organized (Save Time and Money by Organizing Your Fly Boxes)

Fly fishermen go through an evolution, starting with only the basic gear, then too much gear, and then again a minimalist approach to the sport. It seems every time I travel to a new fishing destination I end up tying several flies, and most likely purchasing some patterns at the local fly shop. You quickly end up with so many flies that you either never fish with them, forget you had them, or they rot, rust or are eaten. Many anglers overlook the importance of protecting their investment. Some fly boxes are just not suited to protecting their flies. I recently threw out more than two dozen flies because they had been maintained in poor conditions. When I am fishing from a boat I prefer to have all my flies in a few large boxes. For some time I have been using the clear plastic type tackle box. I now realize my error. Although you can not beat the clear plastic boxes for their price or volume which they hold, they have a few features which prove fatal to some types of flies. The clear plastic allows damaging UV rays into the box which rots rubber leg's, and sucks the life from your foam flies. There is also a problem with condensation in clear boxes, never allowing your flies to dry fully and destroying your best rabbit fur streamers. I thought I had solved my problems by going with the soft type of foam fly box. Although these boxes are light weight, float and provide ample storage, they crush the delicate wings of your best dry flies. I solved my problems by purchasing two large fly boxes, one from S2,(http://www.s2products.com/) in Jackson, Wyoming, the other a Bugger Barn from Cliffs Outdoors of Wyoming (http://www.cliffoutdoors.com/index.html ). The wooden S2 boxes are attractive and inside house all my delicate dries beautifully. There is ample room inside the S2 box to not crush the delicate posts and wings of my dries. The Bugger Barn is made of durable plastic and has more than enough room for an array of streamers. Take care to dry your flies when you get home by simply opening your boxes and allowing the flies to dry overnight. If you are going to store them for some length of time make sure to put them somewhere dry and cool, maybe even going as far as stashing them in a plastic Tupperware to seal out any insects or other fly devouring creature. Now my flies are looking good and ready to fish. When I want to wade fish, I use one of my other soft foam or plastic fly boxes and only take what I think I might really need. Instead of carrying an array of boxes in my vest, now I only carry one or two in the chest pocket of my waders. Fly rod, lanyard, and a fly box is all you really need for an outing proving you have evolved, taking a minimalist approach to the sport of fly fishing.

No comments: